We give one or two little illustrations of Factory methods which we have so far been
able to adopt at the London Offices. It will be readily understood that the comparatively
small staff here necessitated a very moderate commencement.
A spacious Bath and Dressing Room is placed at the disposal of the young women. (This
facility was unique to NCR and was available for hot or cold baths, by prior arrangement,
in the company's time. At that time only one house in 300 had a bathroom)
One of our views shows a corner of the Young Women's Tea Room, an institution which
is much appreciated during the recess given on the Company's time for taking tea
It goes almost without saying, that the suggestion box system is in active operation.
Many useful suggestions come to hand from time to time, and a series of money prizes
ranging from 10/-to £2each are offered for the best suggestions during each half-year.
In 1908 JH Patterson again visited England. This time he stayed for two years. One
of his first actions was to remove Mr Saxe as managing director. He had brought with
him from America, Mr Charles Palmer a former British Army Gymnastic Instructor and
later an assistant to the famous Eugene Sandow in his physical training school. John
H in his constant search for perfect health had undergone a prolonged fasting cure.
The fast may have cured his original problem but it nearly killed him. It was then
that John H. went to the Sandow school and was put under the care of Palmer. He derived
such benefits from his treatment that he engaged him as his personal attendant at
took him first to Dayton and then to London.
Patterson made Charles Palmer the new Managing Director of the British organisation.
His only qualifications for the job were his magnificent physique his knack of managing
J.H.Patterson and on occasions an overwhelming gift of the most forceful army language.
In 1910 a new managing Director was appointed by Patterson, a Mr Henry C. Banwell.
He was an Englishman who had emigrated to America in his early teens and had been
in charge of the office in the first department store to install National Registers.
Shortly after appointing Banwell, Patterson returned to Dayton taking Palmer with
Banwell was a man of forceful character and untiring energy. He took charge of the
British Organisation at a critical time and managed it on a profitable basis for
the next 19 years.
Early after his appointment Banwell took over the building adjoining the Tottenham
Court Road Office to provide extra rooms and allow improvements to the existing building.
On the top floor was a much larger personal letter department, a new agents office
and a shipping department.
On the second floor a brand new office housed the experimental department later known
as research and development. next to this was the mechanical department and the "Betterments
On the ground floor a new enlarged showroom was established and a new convention
hall built on the American pattern and part of the ground floor became a garage to
house NCR's new fleet of motor vehicles.