The Detail Adder was the second register for which James Ritty applied for and received a patent. The application was made on the 15th February 1882 and patent number 271,363 granted on the 30th January 1883 to James Ritty and his brother-in-law John Birch. Their patent drawing showed the angular style of cabinet used by the National Manufacturing company. The discs or adder counter of previous designs was replaced by individual counter gears for each key. In order to provide sufficient capacity for each key a second bank of wheels were provided for each amount key.
This second wheel was called the dollar wheel, the first wheel being the cent wheel a complete revolution of which caused the dollar wheel to advance one position. The patent described the wheels has having 20 teeth on each gear but by 1883 the number had increased to thirty teeth, providing extra capacity.
On the 21 September 1883 Clinton H. Maltby applied for a patent for a reset mechanism for the counters on the Ritty and Birch ‘Detail Adder’ register. Maltby’s patent, number 318485 granted on the
26th May 1885, was assigned to The National Manufacturing Company.
On the same day James Ritty applied for a patent covering a Paper Roll ‘Cash Recorder’ which was granted as 318506 on the 26th May 1885. This patent was also granted to The National Manufacturing Company. Both patent drawings showed curved front cabinets later preferred as the standard design for The National Cash Register Company registers.
At this stage in its development the register did not have a drawer but on October 5th of 1883 John Birch applied for a patent for a ‘cash drawer or till’ combined with the Cash Register. Patent 303974 was granted on August 26th 1884.
Clinton H. Maltby added improvements to springs and the bell on patent 321988 applied for on January 2nd 1885 and granted July 14th 1885 both assigned to The National Cash Register Company.
Frank J. Patterson and Isaac P. Davis applied on the 14th November 1885 for improvements relating to the replacement of springs which was granted as 344982 on the 6th July 1886.